Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Basic Life Support (BLS) Course

Yesterday, I just attended the Basic Life Support (BLS) course for a day. It is compulsory for us in this posting to attend this course so that we were well-trained, so if there's any life-threatening emergencies, we can provide some help in a safe, timely and effective manner. Well, it is not necessary only those from the healthcare professionals to learn it, but I think everyone of us should learn it too; whether you have the medical background or not because we can save more lives. You will never know what you'll encounter in the future, hence you need to be prepared if you encounter such things. 

Source: Google.com
What we learnt from this course were about CPR, airway management, how to use AED, how to relieve choking in adults and paediatrics (infant and children) and many more. There were few slots in this programme. The first slot was like a briefing or some sort of like that. We've been given like the summary of what BLS was all about. Then, we had the practical sessions where we needed to practice on our skill on airway management and CPR. 

Simplified Adult BLS.
Source: American Heart Association
After that, we had the exam! Of course this was the scariest part of all! There were 2 exams; theory and practical. The theory comprised of 30 MCQs; we needed to choose one best answer. The passing mark was 26/30. So we were only been allowed to get at least 4 incorrect answers. Alhamdulillah, I managed to score 28/30. Well, I never aimed to get the full marks. I was just hoping that I could pass so I wouldn't need to repeat this thing again.

Next, we had the practical part. We need to perform CPR and airway management based on the scenarios given. On CPR station, I was being given a scenario of a 60 year old gentleman who was found unconscious at the car park. Alhamdulillah,it was good. I meant, I didn't have any trouble upon performing the CPR. Next station was airway management. Since I was among the last person to go to the station, hence the examiner didn't ask much. Alhamdulillah..Overall, I could answer all her questions.

Alhamdulillah, all of us managed to pass the BLS course (no need to repeat!yeay!).

That's all from me. I have sooooo many classes for tomorrow. 2 case presentations, 2 seminars, 2 tutorials and 1 bed-site teaching. Hopefully I will survive!

without wax,
haniyahaya :)

No comments: