Sunday, November 1, 2015

My life as a medical student - Part I


Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.  
Okay the title may sound a little bit cliche. I know. Nevertheless, I decided to write my journey as a medical student here because I thought that it might be helpful for those who want to pursue their studies in medical field. But hey, don't be judgmental. It is not that I'm being bias or what. I wrote this because it was based on my experiences. I never assume that being a medical student means that you're the greatest among all. No way!

So let me begin my story with : Why I want to be a doctor?

First and foremost, ever since I was a little kid I've always wanted to be a doctor. Of course my parents were the major factor of why I want to be one. I still remembered that when Mercy Malaysia had deployed a team of volunteers back in 1999 to Kosovo, I always taught that I wanted to become like that too. Hence, my mum told me that you could be one, if you are a doctor. Ever since that day, I started to say to myself that I want to become a doctor. So whenever the teachers or neighbours or my parents' colleagues asked me, what did I want to be when I grow up, I straight away answered that I wanted to be a doctor. No doubt about that.

But somehow, I was thinking of other professions too, for example forensic doctor. When I was a kid, I was a die-hard fan of a Hong-Kong drama, 'Witness to a Prosecution' and also the hit-TV drama, CSI. Both of them were about forensic medicine and I started to dream to be forensic scientist. I believed that some of you guys might feel the same way as I did when we watched CSI. (It was very cool to watch how did they collect, process and analyse all the evidences until they managed to find the criminal. Plus the technologies that they used. Man, they were awesome!) But it didn't last long. I still stick to be a doctor.

When I was in upper form, I finally discovered that I really wanted to be a doctor. Engineering was out of my list. Sorry to the engineers out there! I was not really good in Physics and Add Maths. Add maths was quite okay, but Physics? I wasn't really good in it. Shame on me. I just studied Physics for the sake of my SPM (This wasn't a good example for you to follow).

So basically, there were a lot of factors that contributed to my choice. My parents also was one of them. You see, my parents were hoping that I could be a doctor one day. Ever since I was a little kid, they had implemented that being a doctor is a noble career; you can help those people who are indeed, so on and so forth. There was also a point where I was at my weakest point- I felt so down because I didn't get the SPC scholarship to pursue in medicine (which it turned out to be a bluff. I actually got it but the thing is the offer letter came out late. Hahaha!). I even asked my mum, what if I don't get a chance to be a doctor? My mom suggested that I took a law instead (which is a BIG NO for me). Coming to think about it now, I don't think that law will work for me :)

If you ask the doctors or any other medical students; why they want to be a doctor, the answer that you will get might varies from one another. It is subjective. Different people have their own reasons of why they choose this path. Whatever it is, this path is very long and such a tumultuous ride. As for me, it is just a beginning. I always pray that Allah will make it easier for me. InsyaAllah. 

without wax,
haniyahaya :) 

p/s: I actually had wrote this post for almost a year and never published it.

No comments: