Monday, September 22, 2014

Book review for this week

Source : haniyahaya

Title/Author: Gifted Hands : The Ben Carson Story / Ben Carson with Cecil Murphey

A wonderful book! I really enjoyed reading about Ben Carson and his story. The moment when I read the letter from her mother, Sonya Carson  I knew that I just couldn't help myself from flipping through all the pages. (And yeah, I finished this book within a day!)

"Ultimately, it's you who decides whether you will be success or not, by doing what is legally necessary to get you where you want to go. You are the captain of your own ship. If you don't succeed, you only have yourself to blame." -Sonya Carson

I really loved how his mother played a major role in forming him and also his older brother. She always encouraged both of them to be the best that they could be, to do well in school, having them read at least two books in a week and only allowed them to watch not more than three TV shows in a week :O

I also liked Ben's belief in God although he's not a Muslim. Ben never took credit for his accomplishments, but returned all the credits to God. He also always said his prayer before conducting any surgeries. That's one thing that every one of us should put into practice. As a Muslim, du'a is our biggest weapon. We should make du’a at all times and for everything we do, whether it be big or small, because nothing is too big or too small for Allah. :)

In the end, I loved how he put in the key of success-- THINK BIG.

"If you can remember these things, if you can learn THINK BIG, nothing on earth will keep you from being successful in whatever you choose to do." -Dr Ben Carson

Wanna know what's hidden behind THINK BIG? You gotta read this book! :D

Rating : 5/5



Title/Author : The Hundred-Foot Journey/ Richard C. Morais

The reason I bought this book at the first place was I seemed to be attracted to the synopsis behind of this book. And of course, those testimonials also one of the  reasons I bought it. And of course I can't even helped myself from imagined those food that Hassan had cooked. My mouth became so watery, and of course I can even heard the borborygmi sound which indicated that my satiety centre had been stimulated while reading this book. Overall it was a good book! I can't wait for its movie so be released soon.

Rating : 4/5



Title/Author : Sorry / Max Davidson

An interesting non-fictional book I must say. I set my heart on this book when I first saw the title itself. I was wondering, "Just sorry ey for your title. Seem pretty cool to me." The rest is history.
When I read this book, I learnt lots and lots of new words which I believed these could improve my vocabulary. I did scribble a lot in this book. Never in my life I scribbled so much in a non-fictional book. I loved how the author put the art of apologizing into a book and turned out to be a brilliant book! I even wrote down some of the quotes that really touched my heart when I read this. And all those examples given, they were so real (may be some of them were not). But I recommended this book to all of you. Seriously folks, we are indeed to improve our manners! The art of apologising is not only to say sorry, maybe to some extend you need to take the blame to make this world a better place.

"Just misplaced chivalry, some would say, but what is wrong with a bit of chivalry in our backbitting world?" 

Rating :4/5



without wax,
haniyahaya :)

No comments: