Friday, February 28, 2014

Indescribable feeling

Last two weeks, when I was looking through the patients' files to search for my case, my eyes immediately caught on this one patient. Well, let's call him Mr.X.

Mr X looked very tachypnoeic. I could see that he had respiratory distress since he wore a face mask. He also looked very cachexic and so thin. I kept asking to myself, what kind of disease that he had suffered from? I wanted to clerk him but I couldn't. I felt sorry for him. I immediately searched for his files.

Source : Google.com
Voila! There you go. When I first opened the files, I was very shocked to see what had been written in there.

RVD positive.

You must be kidding me!

Like man, is this for real?

When I read more about this patient, my heart sank. 

He actually came to the ward because he had shortness of breath for a long time. I guessed it had been for months. Sorry I couldn't recall much. He also claimed that he had loss of weight about 12 kg for the past 3 months. He had not got any blood transfusions recently, not an IVDU, not sexually active- well this guy hadn't married yet! He was only a teacher, so he hadn't been exposed to any blood products or no history of contact with RVD patients before. It was kinda weird, how come he can get RVD? He was clean!

Then I noticed at the edge of the page of the file,

"Informed the patient regarding his condition. Get moral support from family members." --> More or less it was something like this.

I felt very sorry towards him. He had atypical pneumonia at that time so he couldn't take off his face mask. He was barely able to breathe without it. He only had a chance to take it off about 30 minutes to go to the toilet; to take a bath, make wudhu' and etc. He just lied on the bed and his movements were restricted.

To make it short, after few days, I hadn't seen him around the ward. I guessed he must be transferred to the other ward because I heard him said so when he was talking to the patient who was next to him that he was waiting to be transferred. I felt kinda regret because I hadn't got any chance to talk with him that much. The only conversation between us were I asked him who was the one who brought him here (hospital) and where did he work? It was his sibling that brought him to the hospital and he worked in Klang. 

That was it. The story just ended there. But then, yesterday when I was having bed-side teaching (BST), I saw him! He seemed healthy like nothing happened. I was kinda shocked. He looked happy. I could see his smile on his face. He also seemed that he put on weights. That was really good for him. Then I knew that he had an appointment that morning at OPD and went to the ward to settle up some things. I didn't know but I felt happy for him. Looking at his condition right now, it was hard for me to describe it. Hopefully he was getting better. The RVD result could be false-positive. But if it is positive, I hope that he will survive till the end. InsyaAllah.

***

"The joy of seeing the smile on your patients after treating them are priceless." 
-Dr Waleem, 2014

without wax,
haniyahaya :)


No comments: